Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How I got here

I've had quite a varied career in high tech, starting off as a developer and doing spells in QA, customer management and project management (some of the transitions involved bouncing from the UK to the US twice, but that's another blog post).

For the last few years I've settled into technical operations, which I'd essentially define as all the things that keep an engineering team running smoothly. The job can cover a lot of ground: testing, customer support, project management, IT and, of course, the people management work involved in keeping all those things running. Recently I've been working with small startups, so I get to do a lot of hands-on work as well as steering the ship.

Tech ops is a big problem space with a lot of competing best practices (and I kind of like it that way), but I've found that there are a lot of commonalities, too; more on that in future posts.

I'm looking forward to sharing some of the knowledge I've picked up along the way and, hopefully, learning more from you all !

No comments:

Post a Comment